Research and Development Scientist - Carbon Materials
We are looking for an experienced and highly motivated scientist who is passionate about the development of new carbon-based, renewable products and technologies derived from the chemical transformation of lignocellulose. In this position, you will be responsible for leading materials and new product development projects to support growth of Origin's emerging chemicals business. You will work in a dynamic environment with a cohesive team of process engineers, chemists and business development leaders. The position involves autonomously planning and executing hands-on research and development of carbon materials for reinforcement, purification, energy or agricultural applications. This position will also include managing and developing a team of scientists (1-3) to help execute the project goals.
- Have a strong understanding of chemistry and chemical engineering concepts, to solve problems with an approach based on first principles
- Talent in developing a cogent hypothesis based on data analysis, then plan and execute an effective experimental design to interrogate the hypothesis
- Utilize structure-property relationship insights to drive understanding of the mechanisms by which carbon materials impact performance properties in a given application
- Write technical reports, document work procedures, and produce key progress indicators (KPI’s)
- Effective in working collaboratively with a team of chemical engineers, analytical and synthetic chemists, business development leaders and management, by precisely communicating observations, solutions to problems and advocating new projects
- Strong project management skills; capable of setting goals, budgeting, planning, and executing complex research projects
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and communicate timelines and results to key stakeholders in a clear and concise manner.
- Innovates and contributes to building the company's intellectual property portfolio
- A strong track record working with external technology partners is required, including industrial and academic partners, subject matter experts, vendors, and service laboratories.
- Provides work direction, mentoring and coaching of junior scientists utilizing influence management skills
- Demonstrates safe lab practices and able to instill a safe working culture in the team
- Experience working with carbon materials including carbon black, activated carbon, and/or specialty carbons is required.
- Knowledge of chemical and physical interactions influencing rubber compound properties is preferred.
- Experience with the manufacture, characterization and/or application development of materials derived from biomass is desired.
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Polymer Science or a related discipline.
- 5+ Years industrial experience with a track record of leading successful product development programs